UK IMMIGRATION RULES FOR VISITORS
Every year, millions of people from all works of life pay a visit to the United Kingdom on different grounds to have an experience of a lifetime. If you are considering visiting the UK for business, leisure, health or other related areas, you may be wondering what immigration rules must be applied. In this article, we look at the type of visa you may be needing and the rules you must abide by when visiting the UK.
Standard Visitor Visa
If you are a first-time visitor with no inkling as to what visa you need to apply for, then the standard visitor visa is for you. The standard visitor visa was formerly known as the visitor visa, which allows non-EEA nationals to travel to the UK for a short period of time. This visa has helped ease the processing system in the Home Office since its establishment which makes it a lot easier as long as applicants meet other requirements.
Who should apply for the standard visitor visa?
If you are an EEA citizen, an American or a citizen of one of the Commonwealth countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc. you may not be needing a visitor visa. The Home Office found a term for the visas visitors seek to apply for; known as the Standard visitor visa, which has a specific time limit before expiry.
The types of visas granted under the Standard visitor visa include:
- Family Visitor visa
- Child Visitor visa
- General Visiting visa
- Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
- Sports Visitor visa
- Entertainer Visitor visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur Visa
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
- Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa
A person who intends to come into the UK as a visitor must be prepared to follow the immigration rules and must seek permission which can be in the form of a visa or leave to enter. The immigration rules for visitors coming into the UK include:
- The visitor must show proof of when the visa expires and will be ready to leave at the time of expiry.
- A visitor is not permitted to start working or schooling; although the visa could have been granted on a workshop basis or academics which is mostly referred to as Business visitor visa instead of a student visa.
In a case where accommodation, funds and upkeep are provided for by an external person; the provider must show:
- evidence of a personal or professional relationship with the visitor;
- that the visitor(s) can be taken good care of in the time frame of their visit;
- that they will be law-abiding and will ensure the visitor does not flout any of the immigration laws.
The application process entails that you fill an online application form and then proceed to book an appointment which invites you to your local visa application centre for submission of documents and other requirements.
In applying for the Standard visitor visa, you will need to state explicitly your reason for visit, visa type and the duration of the visa which is dependent on the reason and type of visa you are applying for. You would be required to pay the application cost and submit your credentials and yourself for some tests.
How we can help
For a more detailed information and advice, get in touch. Our immigration specialists will be more than happy to be of assistance and give you all the advice you need to apply accurately according to the UK’s immigration rules.